Friday, May 16, 2008

Mysterious package from Simon and Schuster

arrived 2 days ago. My first thought was, "Oh no... what did I order. I am suppose to be cutting back on spending." (haha) My inner Catholic was bursting out. I almost shoved the envelope under the car seat but then I came back to my senses. It was addressed to me but maybe it was Doc's. Should I call him? Nah, lets open it.

Guess what I found?

Two books written by Claudia Mair Burney. I know her more accurately as the Ragamuffin Diva. My sister in law Elysa introduced me to her blog. So there was a connection. I think I may have even commented on her some writing she shared on her blog. And here were these two books. Well, I love books. I love the pile of them by my bedside. Hours and hours of self discovery, learning and entertainment. And since my spending money is dwindling due to a new saving program in the family... I was thrilled to have 2 FREE books to read.

Claudia Mair Burney writes mystery novels with a bit of theology thrown in the mix. I have never read "religious" fiction before. Religious mystery novels are new to me too. I was ignorant of the whole genre til recently. Not sure what that means for an individual with a Masters from seminary but there it is.

Anyway, I started the first book, Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man the morning after it arrived. I finished it by bedtime. I read it at stop lights, between loads of laundry, in the pick up line at my son's school, at the drive through coffee place and in bed til Doc was asking me when the light was going out.

It was a fun read. I couldn't seem to put it down. The pace of the story kept you hooked. The dialogue kept you amused and the forensics kept you fascinated. The romance was fun and funny as well. All and all a satisfying read. And I am not all depressed cause i got another one of Mair's novels already started, Death, Deceit and Some Smooth Jazz.

I will be back with that review soon.

1 comment:

Elysa said...

I'd read Mair's first book several months ago and really liked it so I was also VERY excited to receive my package with D,D,& SSJ! I'm LOVING it! What a gifted wordsmith Mair is. I can't wait to read MORE MAIR stuff!