Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Has the world gone crazy?

Sometimes I think so! I need to remember that my world view is skewed. Perspective can be relative and truth (but not Truth) is hard to come by. CNN and NPR even lean a certain way and the full picture is obscured BUT I do think I know some things for sure. What am I talking about, you wonder.

Well, lets start with torture.
To put to extreme pain or anguish; to inflict excruciating
misery upon, either of body or mind; to torture.
The president just vetoed a bill on interrogation because it limited the use of torture. Our Christian president thinks that torture, under circumstances is ok. And I KNOW for certain that my religious beliefs are counter to that. Forget about arrogance, or revenge or moral superiority... forget all that. Our nation and Christianity are founded on something higher. Nevermind that waterboarding is against the law. If we don;t walk about it and it happens and saves lives well isn;t that wonderful. But when we take it up in Congress and Bills are formed and voted on and vetoed... my eyes widen. I thought, naively that human rights and dignity were the foundation of our country... but I guess they do not apply to others who we deem the enemy.
It is my belief that the character of our country is based on how well we value all of humanity and how we address conflict. The use of torture only lowers our moral standard and jeopardizes our character as a people. No wonder countries around the world question of integrity and our motivation. I know I do.

No comments: