Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Doozy of a Test

Listening to the news last week I heard a story about the new test people have to take to become citizens of our country. Whenever these types of stories come up I always wonder if we are holding people up to a higher standard than those who enjoy citizenship in the United States by birth. I wondered if I could actually meet the standards set by this test. So I went to MSNBC and took the partial test. There are only 20 questions. The new test has 100, I believe. I got about 80% right to my surprise. A few I had to guess at knowing what I know about our history and historical documents. The scary thing about this test is that applicants for citizenship are NOT given multiple choice. They take the test orally. Yikes!

Don't get me wrong I am not against the new test. I just wanted to see whether I would be let in if i were taking it. And another thing... I do not necessarily hold the same perspectives and beliefs as MSNBC either. They just had the test nice and tidy so i linked it for you. Isn't our country a wonderful place?

WARNING: Do not read further if you want to take the test yourself.

Here are my answers:

1. How many stripes are there on the U.S. flag?
Correct 13

2. Who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court today?
Correct John G. Roberts Jr.

3. In what year was the Constitution written?
Correct 1787

4. Which of these is guaranteed by the First Amendment?
Right to bear arms is not correct. Freedom of the press

5. How many Supreme Court justices are there?
10 is not correct. 9

6. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called?
Correct The Bill of Rights

7. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
Correct July 4, 1776

8. Which of the following amendments to the Constitution does NOT address or guarantee voting rights?
Correct 7th Amendment

9. What are the 13 original states? Correct
Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts,
Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Rhode Island, Maryland

10. What do the stripes on the U.S. flag mean?
Correct They represent the 13 original states

11. What is the introduction to the Constitution called?
Correct The Preamble

12. How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution?
13 is not correct. 27

13. Which of the following is NOT one of the constitutional requirements to be eligible to become president? Correct Must have served as a governor

14. Who selects the Supreme Court justices?
Correct 15.

15. How many representatives are there in Congress?
Correct 435

16. Who said, "Give me liberty or give me death"?
Correct Patrick Henry

17. Why did the Pilgrims come to America?
Correct For religious freedom

18. Who has the power to declare war?
Correct Congress

19. What INS form is used to apply to become a naturalized citizen?
Correct N-400 "Application for Naturalization"

20. Which of these contains three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights?
Right to life, right to liberty, right to the pursuit of happiness is not correct.
Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion

No comments: