Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Introducing Fritz

Head to big for his body? You be the judge.

The kids and I went to the Humane Society of Southern Mississippi, HSSM, this past Saturday and adopted a new dog.  The house and my heart felt so empty with Max gone.  So filling it became a priority. 

After some frustrating moments during the choosing and a few tears when we had to leave him behind to get neutered he is now home.  His name is Fritz. He is a year old and a Chihuahua mix. 

Sadly, many of the dogs waiting for adoption are Heartworm positive. And they do not test them until the first person shows a interest in adopting.  So you can get excited about a dog only to find out they have heartworms.  Cullen fell in love with a female Beagle mix but she was HW+ and would require 2 months of confinement while medication is administered.  The HSSM pays for the medicine but still its a hard therapy for the dog and I didn't think it was fair to do that to the kids after losing Max.

Fritz is very sweet, confident and well socialized. He came out of the Spay and Neuter Clinic perky and ready to go. He jumped right into the car without hesitation.  He came home with a cold and some medication. Tomorrow he goes to see Dr. Lisa for his free health evaluation.  I am not taking any chances after losing Max.

Edward seems to think his head is too big for his body... or disproportionate anyway.  But that is what caught my attention at the shelter.  I am glad he is part of our family.


Connor went with me to get Fritz. Avery and Cullen are at school.  Connor is very excited to have the dog.  And Fritz is very gentle with him.  Fritz likes to follow me around and when I sit down on the ground he climbs into my lap. Connor says, "I really likes this dog. He is a love bug just like me." I agree, they are both love bugs.

No comments: