Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Daisy Girl Scouts

I am now a troop leader for Avery's Daisy Troop. We started this school year and there are 9 girls in the troop. Its been very fun so far. The girls have lots and lots of energy. We meet in one of the spare rooms at the Christus Victor Lutheran Church. They have been great about sharing their space.

Right now we are learning The GS Promise and The Girl Scout Law.

The Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God* and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.
The program is a wonderful way for girls to develop a sense of self while understanding their relationship to the community and the world around them. We will be doing some service programming to give them an idea of how they can make a difference to others. And we will be earning patches centered around the themes in the Law.

I am especially excited about the Ms President Patch. I think it will be a wonderful way for the girls to realize even at this young age that women can and have made a difference in the history of this country and more importantly so can they.

1 comment:

Elysa said...

YAY for YOU!!!! And Avery, too. It's been really good for our boys to be involved in Scouts and Jim to be a leader. We're already thinking about involvement with scouts once we move to Africa. :)