Monday, October 20, 2008

Colin Powell endorses Obama!

I am so excited about this endorsement. Most endorsements are of no surprise when they are announced. My response is mostly, "So what?" But this is really BIG. Not only is Gen. Powell a Republican but a former member of "W" administration.

I have always liked Colin Powell,. I was always kind of perplexed by his politics. But I wanted to like him. When he left the Bush Administration I was warmed. I have no idea why he left, except what the media reports but still I felt there was some hope that maybe not everyone saw Bush through rose-colored glasses.

This endorsement crosses party lines. And it kinda wipes the "Obama is not ready to lead" off the page. Powell said some very nice things about Obama, including that he is the better person to handle the economic challenges that lay ahead. And more importantly to me, Powell addresses some of the prejudices so boldly alive in our country.

"I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the [Republican] Party say... such things as 'Well, you know that Mr Obama is a Muslim'.

"Well the correct answer is, 'He's not a Muslim, he's a Christian, he's always been a Christian'. But the really right answer is, "What if he is?' Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer is 'No', that's not America."

I knew I liked this man!

No comments: