Sunday, October 28, 2007

Teacher Tribute Blog

Today as the day we finally discussed A Man for All Seasons in our Sunday school class. I am not sure why but our class has been poorly attended the last few weeks. Its a bit disheartening. But today another couple was in attendance and we had a wonderful discussion. Beth and Steve are great people and we have a lot in common with them. Getting to spend time with them alone without children is a blessing. They have three and we have three but during Sunday school hour all those little bodies are occupying other chairs in other rooms.

Anyway, we were talking about the movie and came to the part where More refers to teaching. Edward has always said how thought provoking that part was when he was trying to make life choices in his early 20s. Well Beth is a teacher and was expressing both joy and frustration in the profession. But one thing she said that respect for teachers has dwindled away. Teachers use to be respected members of communities... held in high regard for the job they did and the example they made.

I know there are teachers in my past who made a profound difference in my life. Mrs O'Connor was my second grade teacher. She seemed so old I thought she would whither away. But I have always respected her and remembered her. Miss Winter was my high school English teacher. She helped me decide to become an English major in college because of her encouragement of my work in high school.

I know everyone has a teacher or two like that. A teacher who will always be sharp in their memories. A teacher who will provoke strong feelings of affection, respect or awe. So I decided to create a place where people might be able to pay tribute to the teachers in their past... or maybe ones they have right now.

The name of the teacher tribute blog came directly from the dialogue between Thomas More and Richard Rick in A Man for All Seasons.

Sir Thomas More: Why not be a teacher? You'd be a fine teacher; perhaps a great one.
Richard Rich
: If I was, who would know it?
Sir Thomas More: You; your pupils; your friends; God. Not a bad public, that.
If you are reading this and memories are stirring please share your story at Not a Bad Public, That.
Maybe together we can make teaching a profession others will want to invest their future in.


No comments: